cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Wikimedia goes CC

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Hamish MacEwan <hamish.macewan AT gmail.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Wikimedia goes CC
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 17:43:59 +1200

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 16:12, Jessica Coates <j2.coates AT qut.edu.au> wrote:

> This is possibly the biggest Creative Commons development since it launched
> in 2002, and great boon to the free culture community. As I pointed out in
> my previous post on the vote, what this means is that the Wikimedia wikis
> will now be dual licensed under both BY-SA and the GNU Free Documentation
> Licence (GFDL - which Wikimedia currently uses), giving people moving
> material to and from the wikis the ability choose which licence they want to
> use. This means that the 6 million+ articles available on Wikipedia and
> Wikimedia's other wikis (including Wiktionary, Wikinews, and Wikiquote) will
> be able to be more easily combined with the 160 million+ works that use
> Creative Commons licences.

Excellent, while "Against Monopoly" invites us to:

"Imagine a world 150, 200, 500 years from now--when virtually every
work of art, every novel, ever movie, song, and recording ever
produced until today--and many years after--is public domain. Now
imagine you want to play muzak in your elevators, or nice background
music in your dental office, or car repair waiting room, or
restaurant. Or imagine you want to publish a book (or website) of
great paintings. If you want to do these things today, most of the
works you'd be intersted in are still covered by copyright. Sure,
there are older recordings on scratchy 78 rpm LPs, and musty tomes
from the time of the Civil War or earlier--but modern stuff, in color,
stereo, hi-fi, with modern acting and special effects--most is still
subject to copyright. So to play muzak in your elevator or pipe in
nice background music to the ceiling speakers of your waiting room,
you have to pay annoying royalties each month. "

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000001063

This action by Wikimedia participants hastens the day when the
alternative to the grasping all-rights reserved culture pool is a
generally acceptable option.

I enjoy it when monopolies get competition, the ugly incumbents almost
always lose.

> Jessica Coates

Hamish.
--