cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] [Leigh Blackall] Digital NZ

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Leigh Blackall <leighblackall AT gmail.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] [Leigh Blackall] Digital NZ
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:15:04 +1200

Hey all, is CCNZ doing anything with DigitalNZ? Would be nice to see a search engine developed for finding CC NZ content

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Leigh Blackall <leighblackall AT gmail.com> wrote:
Once again Tasmanian Roger Stack points us to an exciting project via Twitter. Digital NZ looks set to become an awesome one stop for NZ specific content, possibly enriched by becoming socially networked. The site has all the features you would look for that indicate a switched on project.. they are using RSS and Yahoo Pipes in a smart way.. they are aggregating content from big servers like Flickr, they are developing widgets for 3rd party use and distribution.. but we really need the bigger investment. We need the local storage and serving... I just emailed them this:

Hi.. great site.. lots of potential!!

I work at Otago Polytechnic. We are producing a lot of educational content with CC By licenses. At the moment we load content to Youtube, Archive.org, Flickr, etc for networking and promotion, but it would be nice to capture this locally along the way.

We need a distributed uploader like http://www.tubemogul.com/, where we can continue to upload off shore to the biggies, but have the option to load to NZ archive or similar at the same time, for Digital NZ to access and use.

What do you think? Please give me a call to discuss - 021736539
This request relates to my post about high hopes for Telecom and NZ Archive working together to preserve NZ cultural artifacts that are presently pouring out the door into Youtube and all. For example, all Otago Polytechnic's open educational resources. Its not that we would want to stop loading content to the popular servers, we just need an easy way to cross upload to NZ Archive servers along the way. We need this for backup, and to explore possibilities in saving bandwidth costs for NZers, by using the offshore servers for offshore access, and local servers for local access.. somehow.. I think the Digital NZ project looks set to be the one to do that for us. If not for public downloads, then at least to send through to archive for now.

Digitalnz.org is the closest thing I have seen to this possibility yet. Clearly the people building the website know what they are doing, and have big dreams too.. I hope they'll go the next logical step and partner up with the National Archive, Library, KAREN or education sector, and start positioning themselves to intercept copies of NZ digital heritage on its way out to big corporations and offshore archiving initiatives.

Creative Commons Licence

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons (Attribution) license.

--
Posted By Leigh Blackall to Leigh Blackall at 4/28/2009 09:45:00 AM

Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Leighblackall

  • Re: [Cc-nz] [Leigh Blackall] Digital NZ, Leigh Blackall, 04/27/2009