cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Stallman visit

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: strypes <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: greenparty AT greens.org.nz, imc-aotearoa AT lists.indymedia.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Stallman visit
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 03:39:37 +1200

Kia ora koutou ko Paul

(cc'ing to the Indymedia, and to the Greens who have incomplete info about the tour on their website, and others - FYI)

Considering Stallman will be speaking about copyright in the digital age, I think it's quite relevant to the purpose of this list. It turns out Stallman is doing a tour of the country, giving talks in a number of centres and institutions. There are still a number of gaps in his itinerary, mainly in Te Wai Pounamu, where Canterbury uni is the only talk listed. So if you'd like to host a talk or meeting during those gaps, here is the tour itinerary, and contacts for the organizers:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~corwin/rms08.html

Please spread this news far and wide. As well as hearing from one of the pioneers of Free Software, these meetings will be a good opportunity for free culture types around Aotearoa to come together and network. For those of us keen to promote CC ANZ licensing, it will be a chance to meet people who are likely to be early adopters or supporters of our educational efforts. Having some leaflets to hand out at the meetings, maybe even info stalls if anyone is feeling really motivated, would be fantastic.

(warning: blatant self-promotion follows ;)
The ownership of and access to information in various forms has huge implications for our lives in the 21st century. For a discussion on the parallels in the way privatization of information affects the seemingly disparate fields of software and food, check out my essay 'Freedom to Know or Freedom to Own?':
http://strypey.orconhosting.net.nz/garden/freedomtoknow.html

RnB
Strypes

Paul Murrell wrote:
Hi

Final details for Stallman's talk below (apologies if this has ceased to
be the correct forum for discussing this topic).

Paul

p.s. I've asked the main organiser about recording/webcasting, but not
word yet on whether this will happen.

Speaker: Richard Stallman
Topic: The interaction between copyright and digital rights management.
Location: Conference Center