cc-nz - [Cc-nz] cc licencing - info for the museum sector?

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Phillipa Tocker" <phillipa.tocker AT museums-aotearoa.org.nz>
  • To: <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: 'Mail' <mail AT museums-aotearoa.org.nz>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] cc licencing - info for the museum sector?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:23:15 +1200

Hi,

I've been watching the growing understanding around CC licensing in NZ with keen interest.  Copyright and authorisation are issues which public museum and art gallery people have to deal with.  They can be very complex, and I feel that perhaps they are sometimes used as an excuse to protect and retain information rather than share it.

I would like to facilitate greater understanding of the possibilities of CC licensing for use in the museum/gallery context.  Museums Aotearoa produces a quarterly newsletter for members, and I invite someone who understands CC licensing and how it might be used in the museum sector to contact me with a view to writing a short piece for our next issue.

This could be as simple as 3-500 words giving a brief explanation, possibly examples, and some useful websites.

A more in-depth treatment could also be considered, either for Museums Aotearoa Quarterly of possibly for our online journal, Te Ara, although that would have to be OK'd with the Editor (see www.museums-aotearoa.org.nz/Site/publications/Te_Ara_On-line ).

I look forward to hearing from someone who understands and can articulate the possibilities!

Kind regards to all,

Phillipa

PS – of course we cannot pay a writers' fee, I'm asking this as a favour for the good of the wider CC community!

Phillipa Tocker

Executive Director

Museums Aotearoa

T  (64 4) 499 1313

F  (64 4) 499 6313

M  (64 21) 606 135

phillipa.tocker AT museums-aotearoa.org.nz

Level 8, 104 The Terrace

PO Box 10-928

Wellington

New Zealand

www.museums-aotearoa.org.nz

  • [Cc-nz] cc licencing - info for the museum sector?, Phillipa Tocker, 06/12/2008