cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Open Data License

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Mark Rickerby" <maetl AT coretxt.net.nz>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Open Data License
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:50:36 +1200

One question that was raised at the EGovernment BarCamp conference on
Saturday was in terms of the difference between 'free' and 'open', and
the need for clear guidelines for licensing content that is a 'data
set' or 'database' rather than a single document or authored work.

Specific examples are taxpayer funded data sets such as the registry
of flora and fauna. There is a huge amount of public data available,
but no real common standard for licensing it. Currently, each agency
uses their own specific copyright statement which either allows or
disallows public use.

For example, Statistics NZ has a copyright statement which seems to be
a reflection of an "Attribution" style license:

http://www.stats.govt.nz/copyright.htm

So I'm wondering whether or not Open Data comes within the scope of CC
licensing schemes, and in particular the NZ Creative Commons
initiative? One suggestion I have seen for open data sets is 'modding'
a standard CC license to include database rights, eg:

http://creativecommons.org/worldwide/nl/english-changes.pdf

Having something like this would also be a good encouragement for
agencies to release more data to the public, with a clear set of terms
for what end users are allowed to do with it.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Rickerby
Writer, Designer, Programmer
http://maetl.coretxt.net.nz
maetl [at] coretxt.net.nz

  • [Cc-nz] Open Data License, Mark Rickerby, 09/16/2007