cc-nz - [Cc-nz] informal CC portal meeting in Poneke

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "strypey AT riseup.net" <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org, Brian Opie <Brian.Opie AT vuw.ac.nz>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] informal CC portal meeting in Poneke
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:53:42 +1300

Kia ora koutou

The Aotearoa CC project has really started to take shape since the
August meeting at the National Library. Setting up a NZ CC is part of
the governmental draft Digital Strategy which is why the National
Library were keen to host that meeting. My summary and Ian's notes from
that meeting can be found in the cc-nz archives (currently available
only to list members, email cc-nz-owner AT lists.ibiblio.org if you have
trouble):
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-nz/

As far as I can know Ian, Paul and Winston (NatLib) who were the NZ reps
at the World Summit for the Information Society have taken on an
informal brainstorming/ steering role. The legal aspects of the project
have been taken on by a team based at Vic with Richard Niven as
co-ordinator. Dr Brian Opie, Executive Director of the Council for the
Humanities has been advocating for his organisation to provide hosting
and web development for the proposed cc.org.nz portal site through their
team that is working on the Humanities Research Network:
http://www.humanitiesresearch.net/

Brian recently contacted me to ask about the ongoing role the loose crew
that had assembled on the cc-nz email list before the August meeting.
I'm meeting with him next week to discuss my involvement (mainly liason
with iCommons and input into the cc.org.nz portal development). I don't
feel I have a mandate to speak for the rest of you so please email
(Brian Brian.Opie AT vuw.ac.nz) to express your level of interest and what
you think you could contribute. I'm happy for others who are based in
Poneke (Wgtn) to join us next week if that's ok with Brian. I intend to
again send a summary of the discussion at this informal meeting to this
list so we're all up-to-date on how the project is taking shape.

It's really important to me that the development process and ongoing
management of CC Aotearoa should be as open, inclusive and transparent
as possible. I'd like to establish the idea of this email list (or some
online forum) being like an ongoing national conference, with local and
subgroup meetings feeding back on what they are doing. I think the list
archives should be viewable by anyone and a regularly updated wiki where
people can quickly get to grips with the project and how to get involved
would be fantastic. I'm investigating whether we need to try and set up
a wiki or whether we can get some space on an existing CC wiki like this
one:
http://wiki.icommons.org/index.php/Main_Page

Things are going really well, we just need to make sure we maintain good
communication and efficient co-operation and task-sharing between all
the different clusters of people getting involved.

RnB
Strypey