cc-mixter - Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Sample Organization

cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: This list is OBSOLETE and ignored

  • From: Victor <victor AT fourstones.net>
  • To: "This is the primary list for discussing and administrating ccmixter.org." <cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: webmaster-mixter AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Sample Organization
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:15:37 -0800

psienkiewicz AT adelphia.net wrote:

It would be much better if you split the samples into three categories.
Keep the existing a capella category to be sure. Break the samples/sources
categories into two parts: one for straight samples (guitars, synth
lines, etc) and another for complete source packs (such as provided by
Brad Sucks). This would be a simple, but vast, improvement.

First off, sorry it took so long to get back to you -- it seems a couple of folks tried to mail us right as we were switching servers a few days ago and these emails are just now trickling in.

When we first set up the site we had exactly the kind of division you are suggesting. We had separate upload categories for 'full solo tracks', 'snippet samples', etc.

Unfortunately this seemed to confuse quite a lot of folks and the majority (!) of uploads were simply going to the wrong category and sheparding the categorizations became untenable.

Sample categorizing is definitely on the list of things to do this year but it has to be done in a very, very clear way because one of the things we've learned running this site is that if there is ANY room for confusion, users will jump in full force.

Thanks,
Victor