cc-metadata - [cc-metadata] How to negate cc:permits, cc:prohibits, cc:requires?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Christoph LANGE <ch.lange AT jacobs-university.de>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Michael Kohlhase <m.kohlhase AT jacobs-university.de>
  • Subject: [cc-metadata] How to negate cc:permits, cc:prohibits, cc:requires?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:08:56 +0200

Dear all,

we are working on re-specifying the integration of the ccREL ontology into
the mathematical markup language OMDoc (http://www.omdoc.org) in a more formal
way. Now I wonder: Is there any way of saying that some Permission does _not_
hold (e.g. that distribution is not permitted, or should I rather say
"prohibited"?), or that some Prohibition does not hold (e.g. that
commercial use is not prohibited, or should I rather say "permitted"?) ?

XY cc:permits cc:CommercialUse

is not really intended by the current implementation of the ccREL ontology.
So do you rather assume negation as failure? I.e. that if "XY cc:prohibits
cc:CommercialUse" is _not_ explicitly mentioned, then we assume that
commercial use is not prohibited? But, if so, wouldn't that conflict with the
open world nature of RDFS?

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Christoph