cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] Where's the machine code?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work" <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] Where's the machine code?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:43:04 -0700

On 7/9/07, Gisle Hannemyr <gisle AT ifi.uio.no> wrote:
Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 09:45 +0200, Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
>> First, I understand that the rel="license" is metadata, and that it works
>> as a microformat. (Btw. the rel="license" was also used in prior versions
>> of the machine code, i.e. those with RDF in HTML-comments.)

> Happens to be both a uF and RDFa.

Thanks! I think I understand that bit now.

>> You also write: "If you provide any of the optional fields in the chooser
>> (...) those are also encoded as RDFa."

> I think you misunderstand what Nathan meant by "optional fields" --
> on http://creativecommons.org/license/ click "Click to include
> more information about your work."

Again, thanks, very helpful.

I did click, and that brought up five additional fields.
I filled those in, and generated a license template
which then had some additional RDFa(?) tags.
Some of those were in the Dublin Core namespace (dc:) -
I won't bother you with those. But I also got the following
two tags in the Creative Commons (cc:) namespace:

<a xmlns:cc="http://creativecommons.org/ns#";
href="http://example.url/";
property="cc:attributionName"
rel="cc:attributionURL">Gisle Hannemyr
</a>

<a xmlns:cc="http://creativecommons.org/ns#";
href="http://morepermissions.url/";
rel="cc:morePermissions">http://morepermissions.url/
</a>

The three values of the "property" and "rel" attributes
contained in those tags were:
- attributionName
- attributionURL
- morePermissions

The cc namespace is declared as follow:
xmlns:cc="http://creativecommons.org/ns#";

Now, looking at the embedded RDF-in-HTML-comment found at this address
(and also at: http://creativecommons.org/schema.rdf ), I would
expect to see the same three values (attributionName, attributionURL
and morePermissions) properly defined. But I can't find these
definitions. Is there something I've overlooked?

Not overlooked, just a recent addition to the schema and not updated
there yet.

attributionName and attributionURL provide a way to define how you
want the work to be attributed. morePermissions allows you to define
a URL where someone may find information about obtaining, well, more
permissions. These are actually used by the deeds these days. For
example, if you click through from a Magnatune page (say,
http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/williams-long/) to the license,
you'll see the deed uses Javascript to reflect the attribution and
more permissions information.

Nathan

PS. The reason I am asking all these questions (apart from that
I want to understand this), is that I am in charge of writing
a CC tutorial in Norwegian (I too think that somebody more
qualified should do this, but so far, I'm the only one that
volunteered). If any of you read Norwegian and want to look
at this work in progress, the URL is:
http://www.creativecommons.no/omcc.shtml
The metadata bit is at the end.