cc-metadata - [cc-metadata] Exif is dead, long live XMP

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-metadata] Exif is dead, long live XMP
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:21:59 -0700

I think we can resolve the question of how to twist Exif to fit our
needs by saying "just use XMP." Microsoft is apparently now supporting
XMP and there's some value in keeping the number of standards supported
to a minimum.

http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/archive/2006/08/16/702780.aspx -- via
http://dannyayers.com/2006/08/24/windows-vista-to

Now, the question is, how hard is it to inject XMP -- see
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/XMP for our spec -- into a JPEG?

Looks like there's a PHP library that does --
http://www.ozhiker.com/electronics/pjmt/

Perl -- http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Java -- http://www.w3.org/People/Bos/JPEG-XMP/

Python -- ?? we need this for ccPublisher

I'm thinking that because embedded video metadata practically does not
exist (note "practically") that rather than attempting to come up with
specs for CC embedding in every video format we help come up with specs
for XMP embedding in every format.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer