cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] data: URLs -- yet another sick hack for stuffing RDF into (X)HTML documents

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] data: URLs -- yet another sick hack for stuffing RDF into (X)HTML documents
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 01:11:56 -0400

On Wed, 2006-24-05 at 00:42 -0400, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> While documenting things is always a good idea, it should also be noted
> on the page that this is *not* a supported method for embedding -- I
> don't see tools like MozCC adding support for it any time soon.

That's too bad. It seems like a special case of the <link> method, and
it'd be really easy to implement. Considering that Mozilla and Firefox
support data: URLs internally (see
http://www.mozilla.org/quality/networking/docs/aboutdata.html), it might
already work! I'm going to do some testing and see.

Well, MozCC will recognize the contents of a data: URL as RDF (and display the icons), if you navigate to the URL. But it doesn't seem to recognize data: URLs in <link> elements, which is quite a shame.

You can see an example with an <a> anchor here:

    http://evan.prodromou.name/datalink.xhtml

~Evan

Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
http://evan.prodromou.name/