cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] abc and license metadata

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Alex Roberts <alex AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] abc and license metadata
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 15:24:31 -0800

Great Laura...I'm forwarding to two other people who work at
creativecommons for possible inclusion on the creative commons website.

Jon

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 16:11 -0800, Laura Michaels wrote:
> Was reading through the various file types listed at
> the Creative Commons web site that support metadata
> regarding copyright/cc related details. I have a
> format to add to the list. ABC is a format that can
> be used to easily exchange music. ABC notation is
> ASCII text, so you can share songs by e-mail, over the
> web, etc. There are also tools available to convert
> ABC notation to MIDI file format or to create
> postscript sheet music, among other functions. One of
> the first things I checked into when I decided to
> start writing notes using ABC was how it handled
> copyright related material (basically metadata). In
> the latest ABC specifications, there's a
> %%abc-copyright tag that can be used to store
> copyright or cc related information. With the
> gracious consent of the abcmidi maintainer, I added
> some code to abc2midi (the abc to midi conversion
> utility), so that it would embed certain information
> from the %%abc-copyright tag into the midi file it
> creates. At the time, I used it to embed information
> about releasing music under the Free Music Public
> License (FMPL) (http://www.fmpl.org/fmpl.html), but
> there's no reason it can't be used for cc information
> as well. I have read that some countries don't
> recognize (c) as a valid copyright tag, so abc2midi
> will also let you enter an ASCII copyright symbol by
> using the code \xA9. Basically, abc2midi's
> abc-copyright tag currently follows the C language's
> style of character conversion. \n, \t, \r are
> recognized as linefeed, tab and carriage return. \\
> represents a single \. \x followed by some numbers (or
> A-F) represents a hex number. Therefore, \xA9 is
> recognized as the hex ASCII character represented by
> A9, thus putting that character into the midi file.
> (A bit complicated, but if you're familiar with C it
> should make sense.) Anyway, I thought I'd make
> mention of abc2midi's abilities for those interested
> in writing their own music. ABC notation and abc2midi
> are a wonderful way for those of us who can read/write
> music but can't play an instrument to be able to
> create our own music. You can find abc2midi as part
> of the abcmidi package at:
> http://abc.sourceforge.net/abcMIDI/
> There's also more information about ABC notation in
> general at that site.

Jon Phillips

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon AT rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon AT gristle.org
IRC: rejon AT irc.freenode.net

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
Creative Commons (www.creativecommons.org)
San Francisco Art Institute (www.sfai.edu)

  • Re: [cc-metadata] abc and license metadata, Jon Phillips, 12/04/2005