cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] referrer-enhanced deeds

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] referrer-enhanced deeds
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:00:48 -0700

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 08:10 -0400, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> I think it makes more sense to have some sort of identifier for a Work
> given at license-generation time, so that:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/?ccid=4815162342
>
> ...would show a customized deed for that object.
>
> Why do this? Because works don't stay where they're supposed to.
> Because they don't stay in the same form or format.

Why not do this?
- licensors may choose a license through means other than
http://creativecommons.org/license/
- licensors would need to maintain their metadata via CC, which creates
a hornets' nest of issues
- not possible to search for CC-licensed content by license url

Here's our over-the-top FAQ on this:

Is Creative Commons building a database of licensed content?

Absolutely not. We believe in the Net, not a centralized,
Soviet-style information bank controlled by a single
organization. We are building tools so that the semantic web can
identify and sort licensed works in a distributed, decentralized
manner. We are not in the business of collecting content, or
building databases of content.

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21