cc-metadata - Changes to CC Web Services

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT yergler.net>
  • To: cctools-developer AT lists.sourceforge.net
  • Cc: cctools-announce AT lists.sourceforge.net
  • Subject: Changes to CC Web Services
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:25:16 -0500

As you may remember we launched CC Web Services a few months ago. Since then they've primarily been used as a platform for providing licensing services to ccPublisher. While we initially committed to providing both SOAP and REST-ful interfaces to the web services, several implementation details delayed the completion of the SOAP server. At the time we decided to delay rolling out SOAP support until we (ok, I) had the bandwidth to complete the implementation.

Its become apparent over the past month that that time is not coming soon. We've also received only one inquiry regarding the SOAP interface since launching the web services. As a result, we've decided to deprecate the SOAP interface and move towards supporting REST as our primary web services platform. Deprecated may be too weak a word -- they never really worked completely to start with, so there's not much there to deprecate.

You can read basic documentation on the CC web services at http://api.creativecommons.org. We have also implemented a Java wrapper as a demonstration of using the REST service from Java. You can find more about the demo at http://yergler.net/blog/archives/2005/02/08/using-java-with-cc-web-services. You can find the JavaDoc for the web services wrapper class at http://api.creativecommons.org/doc/java. It's currently a little slim, but I'm working on bringing it up to speed.

Finally, we're also starting to think about moving the CC web services from "beta" to "1.0" and commit to providing some API stability. If anyone has feedback on how they believe the web services could be improved or made more useful, please let us know.

Thanks,

Nathan R. Yergler
Software Engineer
Creative Commons

  • Changes to CC Web Services, Nathan Yergler, 02/09/2005