cc-metadata - Re: hi and project question

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: hi and project question
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:33:30 -0800

aaron wrote:
Ok, so Macos X has this feature called "Services." What you can do with a service is register certain data types that your service understands how to do certain things with. For instance, I am running mail.app right now. When I select a block of text in this email and go to Mail->Services, various services that know how to deal with selected text present themselves at my beck and call. I'd like to implement a service that, at first, registers the jpeg file format and knows how to find, extract, and visualize CC metadata. This way anyone who installs my service can check out CC licensing information for any jpeg (or any data type that gets implemented in the service .. I am using jpeg as the starting point only here) whether or not the home user is using Adobe Photoshop, GraphicConverter, or any arbitrary program dealing with jpegs. And they can do it conveniently from within whatever application they are running.

I don't know anything about OS X, but this sounds reasonable, as far as that goes.

Also, I'd like to make a drag and drop application that embeds CC information in known file formats, beginning with jpeg.

We'd like to add support for additional formats in http://creativecommons.org/tools/ccpublisher

About a week before my finals began I realized I thought this would be cool, so no real work has been done. However, 3 weeks ago I would have hacked out C code to embed the metadata. Since then I've learned about a much easier, cooler, and wicked extensible way to implement this stuff on the Mac -- the forthcoming Spotlight. (http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/spotlight.html) Spotlight already understands the metadata fields for, among other formats:
[...]

Can spotlight read and write metadata for all those types?

1) is there anybody out there?
2) do you think this is an ok idea?
3) what suggestions/comments do you have?

Yes, probably, interspersed.

4) where can I find technical information on the XMP/RDF, etc and exactly how it's generated and interpreted? Is there a library already implemented for this?

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/xmp/topic.html

5) has CC figured out where they want license info embedded for JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and GIF?

I believe XMP can be used for any of those, although it may make sense in the future to support type specific metadata (e.g., EXIF).

6) is there already code to, for instance, generate a pretty picture for, eg, <prohibits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/CommercialUse"; />?

You probably don't want to embed RDF directly into files. See http://creativecommons.org/technology/mp3 for an example. That said, depending upon your language, there might be a library for you to use. PHP, C# and Java libraries have been announced here in the past. Or use our web service http://api.creativecommons.org .

7) other stuff I haven't thought of yet.

The word "wicked" is prohibited here. :)

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21