cc-metadata - Re: [Cctools-developer] RDF in web pages

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org, cctools-developer AT lists.sourceforge.net
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Cctools-developer] RDF in web pages
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:39:08 -0800

Tom Chance wrote:
Apologies if this is the wrong list, but I have a question about embedding RDF data in web pages.

cc-metadata (added) is probably a more appropriate place for this question.

If you have a page that includes several pieces of content, each with a different license, do you embed a different bit of RDF data for each piece of content, encapsulating each bit of content in the data? Will CC tools pick this up correctly?

ccLookup looks specifically for metadata about specific files -- rdf:about="urn:sha1:...", but that's a rather niche application right now.

I believe mozCC and ccValidator will find CC metadata about any URI and display it.

The search engine only looks for metadata about the current URI (rdf:about="" is the common case), though that will change.

To make things harder, what if the web site (inc. the template) is under one CC license, and then some of the content _within_ that is under another CC license? An example would be:
http://www.remixreading.org/node/162

If I'm reading right, that's not a good example, as they're both under by-sa. http://www.remixreading.org/node/100 is an example though.

Anyway, right now for a site that primarily catalogs CC-licensed content, I'd have the metadata about the current URI pertain to the content being cataloged, and refer to another page (e.g., /copyright.html) to describe the site license.

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21

  • Re: [Cctools-developer] RDF in web pages, Mike Linksvayer, 12/17/2004