cc-metadata - ccTag makes mp3s unreadable by Windows Media Player

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Marcus Valentine <marcus AT irational.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: ccTag makes mp3s unreadable by Windows Media Player
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:26:10 +0000

Hi

As buried in the comments on http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4279,

an mp3 tagged with ccTag is unreadable by Windows Media Player.

Windows Media Player 10 helpfully provides the following information:

<Windows Media Player says>

C00D0BB8: Cannot play the file

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for the following reason:

You are trying to play an MP3 file that contains compressed ID3 headers. The ID3 header is a portion of the file that stores the song's album information (for example, the song name, artist name, album name, and genre). This information is sometimes called a "tag."

To fix the problem, make a copy of the file and then use a non-Microsoft ID3 tag editing program to remove or reset the file's ID3 headers. After you remove the ID3 headers, Windows Media Player should be able to play the MP3 file.

</Windows Media Player says>

To my mind this is a serious problem. I am attempting to embed a media player in a web page to play tagged mp3s. The following simple snippet of code successfully embeds a player when viewed with Firefox with quicktime available.

<embed src="my_mp3.mp3" type="video/Quicktime"></embed>

When viewed in IE, it appears IE decides to embed windows media player as the player, without any help from quicktime, thank you very much. I am not aware of a way of forcing IE to use quicktime.

Needless to say, when a tagged MP3 is used, windows media player then folds its arm and refuses to play the MP3.

Any ideas?

Marcus Valentine