cc-metadata - Re: Fwd: Multiple encodings & ccvalidator

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Lucas Gonze <lgonze AT panix.com>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: lucas AT gonze.com
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Multiple encodings & ccvalidator
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:00:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Sylvain ZIMMER wrote:

Can you talk more about your application requirements, Silvain?

Sure. It's a website. I'll give the URL when it's finished.

I have a generic "album" page. It lists the tracks of the album, and next
to the track are links to hear them in various encodings. Quite common
thing I suppose.

I want to be able to add an encoding without changing the RDF info in the
page (for the case we choose to encode on-the-fly. Think of allofmp3.com,
but legal && CC licensed...).

What a difference having specifics makes!

What you need is a canonical ID. It seems to me that MusicBrainz IDs would do the job really well, as long as its possible for you to make sure that all the songs get MB IDs before you publish your page. If that's not possible, I don't think there is infrastructure to do it, but I do think that the ideas are well established and a smallish project could get the job done.

As an example of an alternate approach, you could define a URI which maps to an XSPF //trackList/track element for the song.

- Lucas

We have no DRM as we encode in MP3 & OGG.

And of course, I want that all the files, having "... verify at [album
page]", validate with ccLookup or future versions of ccLookup and other
tools.

I don't think it's too far-fetched... Creative Commons is far beyond
encoding issues, so this problem should really have a solution, if it
hasn't yet :)

Moreover, I would really appreciate having CC validator compatibility, so
thanks in advance !!

Sylvain