cc-metadata - Re: Restrictive ranges confuse me.

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Restrictive ranges confuse me.
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 11:51:32 -0700

Enrico Silterra wrote:
But we have additional permissions, which are specifically described in contracts
that we have with vendors, with names like InterLibraryLoanUsingPrintOrFax.
Some vendors prohibit this, some explicitly permit this.
Once again, we could say that the permission to give out this object in some way, is already part of
Distribution, and we only need to document exceptions to this. Fair enough.

What is true, is that nobody will ever give us any kind of blank permission for Redistribution or
Modification, so we will never be able to use that in any description of anything we are using. We will only have a series of atomic and specific actions, and things not mentioned in our contracts are pretty much forbidden.

If you'll never use the Distribution permission, why not create InterLibraryLoanUsingPrintOrFax and similar fine-grained permissions -- as permissions. If the Distribution permission is not present, other forms of distribution are not allowed.

I strongly suggest collaborating on anything you invent with others in the university library community. The (behind schedule) work at http://www.openarchives.org/news/oairightspress030929.html might be of interest.

  • Re: Restrictive ranges confuse me., Mike Linksvayer, 05/01/2004