cc-metadata - Digital Object Identifier

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Digital Object Identifier
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:39:38 -0700

Norman Paskin of doi.org intended this for cc-metadata:
From:
"Paskin, Norman (DOI-ELS)" <n.paskin AT doi.org>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:32:14 +0100
To:
"'cc-metadata-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org'"
<cc-metadata-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org>

Hello

A colleague forwarded me this thread about DOIs. DOI (we do not pronounce
it "doy" but use the three letter acronym, D.O.I.) = digital object
identifiers are persistent, semantically interoperable, identifiers for
entities of interest in intellectual property transactions (irrespective of
the rights model used). Currently assigned to items of content (journal
articles, scientific data sets, government documents etc) but also capable
of assignment to licences, parties, etc. DOIs are in use now (approx 13
million assigned to date).

Our web site (www.doi.org <http://www.doi.org>) has more information. Links
to a series of overviews at <http://www.doi.org/about_the_doi.html>
We would be happy to discuss the application of DOIs to licensed materials
in the Creative Commons space. Our annual meeting takes place in London on
June 22 and we'd be glad to invite someone from the CC community to
participate (nominations?). Feedback and comment are welcome from all.
The metadata CC list may be particularly interested in our use of
ontology/data dictionary concepts, described in one of our factsheets
(<http://www.doi.org/factsheets.html> ). We were part of the group which
developed the Rights Data Dictionary which has just become a formal ISO MPEG
Standard (MPEG 21 Part 6) and we are the proposed registration authority for
terms in that dictionary.
Esther Dyson's release 1.0 article on internet registries will also be of
interest: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1340/309registries>

Dr Norman Paskin
Director
International DOI Foundation