cc-metadata - Re: creator, contributor

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: John Kwasnik <jkwasnik AT accessbee.com>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: creator, contributor
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 10:17:17 -0700

Evan & all --

Personally, I'd think that the creator of the current work, even if
they only made trivial modifications, should be listed as the
"creator". They are the party granting a license for the work, after
all.

I wonder how closely "creator" needs to correspond to "author" in the legal sense. As far as my dim non-lawyer brain grasps it, anyone who contributes something to a "work" retains authorship rights to their contribution. So works like music or open-source software are likely to have long lists of authors, creators, or contributors, however you want to cut it.

John

  • Re: creator, contributor, John Kwasnik, 04/04/2004