cc-metadata - dc:rights and CC resolution

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: dc:rights and CC resolution
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:35:00 -0800

There's a proposal at http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/dc-rights/ that would resolve controversy over CC's use of dc:rights by introducing a dc:rightsHolder term.

The problem is that CC uses dc:rights to denote an agent who holds the copyright on the resource. See <http://creativecommons.org/technology/metadata/implement>. This is somewhat in conflict with dc:rights, which supports the following two requirements, from the above proposal:

* provide a simple human-readable statement of who holds rights over a resource
* support simple (i.e. potentially ambiguous) searches of the form "find all resources where an entity that is named using a simple string is likely to be a rights holder"

(The definition of dc:rights at http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/ is much less precise -- "Information about rights held in and over the resource.")

Anyway, dcterms:rightsHolder, assuming the proposal is accepted, maps directly to CC's current use of dc:rights. As soon as the proposal is accepted, I plan to begin recommending (and emitting from <http://creativecommons.org/license/>) dcterms:rightsHolder in place of our current dc:rights use.

The other part of the proposal, dcterms:license, need only be reflected in the CC schema. See <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0402&L=dc-usage&P=2757> for both changes I propose spelled out.

  • dc:rights and CC resolution, Mike Linksvayer, 02/16/2004