cc-metadata - CC and SMIL

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: CC and SMIL
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:48:55 -0700

Lucas Gonze, who has popped in on this list before, has been blogging a lot about SMIL playlists recently. I haven't ever been into playlists, but <http://www.gonze.com/index.cgi/2003/10/13#10-12-3> pointing at <http://www.daysofleisure.com/blog/pride_and_envy_and_freedom.smil> really caught my attention for two reasons:

* It demonstrates client-side remixing -- the end user hears a remix, specified by the SMIL file, but no remix is published in the form of a mp3 or similar -- the "sources" are untouched.

* More apropos to this list, I read (excerpt from above SMIL)

<!--
This playlist is free to use and modify in any way you want, except that
the modified version must include this notice and must include a link
to the version of the playlist that you based your modifications on.
author: Jim Nachlin
self: http://www.daysofleisure.com/blog/pride_and_envy_and_freedom.smil
parent: http://gonze.com/playlists/pride_and_envy_lounge.smil
parent: http://www.lessig.org/content/audio/
parent: www.illegal-art.org/audio
-->

Now this is cool because it grants the user permission to use and modify the playlist and charts its ancestry. But it would be even cooler if this were done using a CC license and RDF.

I don't know much of anything about SMIL, but I note that it does include a specification for publishing RDF/XML metadata inline <http://www.w3.org/TR/smil20/metadata.html#edef-metadata>.

It would be cool if someone did some research and cooked up some examples of including CC license RDF in SMIL for the purposes of denoting that the SMIL playlist itself is published under a CC license or that individual components of the playlist are CC licensed. Even better if you can use dc:source to specify parent playlists/works.

Anyone want to do this or help with the wording to make it a new tech challenge <http://creativecommons.org/technology/challenges>?

Thanks!

(I note that SVG has a similar metadata capability <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/metadata.html>.)