cc-metadata - Re: embedding metadata in MIDI?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: embedding metadata in MIDI?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:03:59 -0400

Kevin Shrieve wrote:
I'd like to enthusiastically endorse that perspective. MIDI has great un-tapped potential as a platform for collaborative culture building, and for making music from one culture available for re-use/re-purposing/re-creation by people from other cultures. It is uniquely useful for sharing "unfinished" background arrangements that can be customized (key, tempo, instrumentation, order and length of sections) for use by live musicians and singers. And because of the tiny file sizes very inexpensive computers can work with them.

You say it much better than I.

I guess the copyright field is unformatted text -- would you use it in such a way that it could be machine-readable, say by a search engine?

The copyright field is unformatted text, but we'll recommend a specific format from which license and license claim urls can be extracted. Excerpted from <http://creativecommons.org:8000/learn/technology/mp3>:

TCOP (Copyright Text) should include a human-readable license and
license claim information. The contents of this frame are displayed
by many programs in a "file info" window. Example value: 1995 Example
Band. Licensed to the public under
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/ verify at
http://example.com/cclicenses.html

If "verify at " exists in TCOP, everything after it must be the
license claim URL, and if there is a license claim URL then it must
be preceded by "verify at ".

For MIDI the instructions would be the same, just replace "TCOP" with "copyright event".