cc-metadata - P3P approach to CC Metadata?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Chris Snyder <chris AT psydeshow.org>
  • To: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: P3P approach to CC Metadata?
  • Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:23:58 -0500

I have a feature in my CMS that lets users import images and files from other websites, and I've been racking my brain about how to track down CC metadata when all I'm given is a URL to a binary file.

It would be really great to see an accepted and encouraged standard for plugging copyright information into HTTP response headers, so that browsers, CMSs, and other apps could discover it without having to hunt for a reference on a different page. Has anyone ever seen a "License-type:" or "Copyright:" header?

Like P3P (http://www.w3.org/P3P/ ), headers could be generated dynamically for each file on a site, or point to a static XML document in a well-known location that assigns different policies to different directories.

I sincerely hope for the day when there's a preference in my browser to ignore "all rights reserved" materials and only display open content, in the same way that IE6 allows users to ignore cookies from sites without a machine-readable privacy policy.

chris.

--
HIP HOP CLOWN MONTH
booth of the day: all day, every day

  • P3P approach to CC Metadata?, Chris Snyder, 02/08/2003