cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: What version if no version is listed?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Maury Markowitz <maury.markowitz AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: What version if no version is listed?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 07:30:10 -0400

> On Apr 25, 2015, at 4:13 PM, jonathon <jonathon.blake AT gmail.com> wrote:
> ports, I'd suggest that it be treated as "All Rights Reserved", unless,
> and until the person who created the work is located, and the creator
> changes the license to something more specific.

If someone in Germany releases a work under CC-by-SA after reading a German
translation, does that mean we should treat it as "All Rights Reserved” in
the UK?

We are perfectly happy saying no in this situation because the intent of the
message is the same. But the same is true for the versions as well.

And that intent is clearly *not* "All Rights Reserved”. Assuming that’s what
someone meant when the used a CC licenses is a worse violation, IMHO.

> Given the huge differences in wording between the various versions, and

Perhaps you can point out some of the examples of the sorts of things that
have changed that you think will be the problem?

As far as I can tell there are very few differences between versions. These
are largely limited to the types of materials covered and changes to remove
language that is too locale-specific. The intent of 1.0 is the same as 4.0,
and that should be preserved.