cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Translation of Exceptions and Limitations

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: John Hendrik Weitzmann <jhweitzmann AT mx.uni-saarland.de>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Translation of Exceptions and Limitations
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 23:30:11 +0100

That's a good point, Gisle.

I don't want to preclude what CC Legal thinks about this issue, but my
view as lead of CC DE is that these are simply standing terms. In
countries where they are part of the law they are understood, everywhere
else they don't matter, at the same time meaning it doesn't hurt really
to include them literally without translation.

In German that section would read then:

*Ausnahmen und Schranken* meint Fair Use, Fair Dealing und/oder
jegliche sonstige Ausnahme oder Schranke des Urheberrechts und
ähnlicher Rechte, die bei Ihrer Nutzung des lizenzierten Materials
greift.

For folks in Germany those verbatim English terms might or might not
ring a bell, but that's fine because those concepts don't exist in that
way in German copyright law anyways.

To me that sounds like the most straight forward approach.

Best
John