cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] third party rights

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] third party rights
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:20:49 +0100

On 08/27/2012 09:02 AM, Paul Keller wrote:

can we stop thinking in terms of liability/protection for a minute?
clearly protection and reduction of liability are not the main
consideration of most people using our licenses. they use the licenses

Legally speaking, people want to use the work without infringing copyright. :-)

because they want to *enable other to use a specific work*. If that is
my intention than it clearly helps that i am telling the potential user:
'you are free to use the work under these conditions' and and not some
watered down version of that statement.

But you cannot make that un-watered-down statement without exposing yourself and downstream users to risk.

Paradoxically, removing the v1.0 guarantee made the licenses safer to use. Because licensors don't end up with liabilities as a result of the license if they get it wrong, and licensees aren't lulled into a false sense of security.

- Rob.