cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Disclaimers for works of opinion as an incentive to free licensing

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam AT benfinney.id.au>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Disclaimers for works of opinion as an incentive to free licensing
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:29:01 +1000

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis AT pitrou.net>
writes:

> We are talking about taking a free license and adding a clause against
> misrepresenting opinions, all the while keeping it a free license.

Thanks for being clear in your intent.

I think that is a mistaken goal, attempting to use copyright for more
than it can reasonably be expected to do.

Misrepresenting opinions, to the extent that it should be a legal
offense, is a deceit, not a violation of copyright. What laws cover
deceit? Fraud, defamation, etc. – not copyright.

--
\ “We now have access to so much information that we can find |
`\ support for any prejudice or opinion.” —David Suzuki, 2008-06-27 |