cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Possible ambiguity in the v.4

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gisle Hannemyr <gisle AT ifi.uio.no>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Possible ambiguity in the v.4
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:31:37 +0200

The present language in sev 2(b)(1) in the draft is painful to
read.

However, I think the motivation behind this mess was something that
Diane Peters write about the ver. 4.0 draft on April 2nd, 2012
( http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/32157 ). I quote:

We remain concerned that these "ancillary rights" (the term coined
for use in the draft) could undermine or interfere with expected
uses of the licensed work, much as sui generis database rights
(and their treatment in 3.0 and its ports) have vexed CC
licensors and licensees in Europe for years.

I think this is backwards. These so-called "ancillary rights" no more
interfere with or undermine the expected uses of the licensed work
than copyright, neighbouring rights, or database rights does. The
problem here is that CC attempts to interfere and undermine local law
in some jurisdictions. There is no need to do this, and we should
stop doing it altogether.

The obvious solution for CC is to *license* any rights (where
they exist) under the same terms and conditions as copyright,
neighbouring rights and (now, finally!) database rights.

The only thing that has "vexed" CC licensors and licensees in Europe
about database rights was that you could *not* use CC for database
rights (in most ver. 3.0 jurisdiction), which is presumably why they
are explicitly included in ver. 4.0.

By means of example, take the Nordic catalogue rights, which are
among the so-called ancillary rights that Diane Peters wants to
be explicitly waived in the draft 2(b)(1).

Can anyone explain how it undermines or interferes with expected
uses of the licensed work if CC should make it *possible* to stick
a CC BY-SA on a catalogue published in a Nordic country? It
basically means if that someone creates a derivative catalogue
in a Nordic country, they too have to make the derivative version
available under CC BY-SA, which I think is something the CC
community should want.

Admittedly, there is a lot of copyright-like rights, and they
*are* treated different in various jurisdictions. There is nothing
the Creative Commons can do about it. CC just need to understand
that its job is to create licensing tool - *not* to interfere with
local laws about copyright and copyright-like rights.

I can't see what good the current language in Section 2(b)(1) and
Section 2(b)(2) does.

I've already (see the thread "Thoughts on NC") suggested how to
fix Section 2(b)(2).

As for Section 2(b)(1), I think *all of it* can be replaced with the
following sentence.

Moral Rights, to the extent they exist, are not affected by the
license.

Other Neighbouring Rights, to the extent they exist, are under
this license offered on the same terms as Applicable Copyright.

I am also confused by the use of the term "ancillary rights".
I can assure you that catalogue rights in the Nordic countries
is *not* an "ancillary right", it is a "copyright-like" right
or a "neighbouring right", just like any other sui generis right.
When I see the word "ancillary rights", I think about rights that
are *not* copyright-like, such as merchandising rights.