cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] BY-NC-SA 4.0d1 Notes

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] BY-NC-SA 4.0d1 Notes
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:59:42 -0400

On Saturday 07 April 2012 13:12:14 Rob Myers wrote:
> On the one hand this makes clear that reblogging or critiquing ARR work
> in a CC context isn't an attempt to CC license it. Which is good.
>
> On the other, it does make it clear that BY-SA is a *very* weak
> copyleft, going further than the FDL and more akin to the Open Gaming
> License in its ability to interleave non-free material. Which may be bad.
>
> If BY-SA is very weak copyleft and may accompany ARR work, what does
> this mean for "stronger copyleft", as per Drew, Wikipedia and the FSF?

Well, I know for me, if we don't make a reasonable stab at making the
copyleft
aspects of BY-SA stronger this round, I am thinking seriously of adopting
BY-NC-SA for my photos and such with an additional permission to use the work
for commercial purposes so long as the resulting work also grants the same
commercial waiver. I would hate to do this but... We shall see.