cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Limitation of liability and CCZero

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT opencontentlawyer.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Limitation of liability and CCZero
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:11:05 +0000

We had a question at Open Data Commons about limiting liability for providers of data under the PDDL, our implementation of the Science Commons protocol, but unlike CCZero, just for data.

I summarised and posted about it here:

<http://www.opendatacommons.org/2008/02/13/limiting-liability-in-the- pddl/>

CCZero has no limitation of liability or indemnification clause (for the Affirmer that is), and specifically notes liability may be present for the "Asserter" and so some might wonder about the liability of providers of work under CCZero. Some questions I see as relevant for the development of CCZero:

-- Would adding a limitation of liability clause in a separate document be compliant with the Science Commons protocol or with the way CCZero is intended to be used?

-- Adding a limitation of liability clause in the Affirmer version and requiring that CCZero be kept with the document could solve the problem. Would this BSD/MIT style requirement of keeping the licence with the work be compliant with the protocol or with the way CCZero is intended to be used?

This one is probably one that will end up on cc-community, but how would an indemnification clause fit in?

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
<http://opendatacommons.org>

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007

  • [cc-licenses] Limitation of liability and CCZero, Jordan S Hatcher, 02/13/2008