cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Developing Nations

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Edward Cherlin" <echerlin AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Developing Nations
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:40:49 -0800

I'm new to this list. Among my projects are volunteering with One
Laptop Per Child; organizing Earth Treasury, a non-profit for linking
schools around the world and teaching the students how to go into
sustainable international business together; and Open Hardware
development.

I just found out that the CC-Developing Nations license has been
dropped. I was about to start talking to publishers about CC-DN
licenses for textbooks and educational content for the One Laptop Per
Child XO computer. This seems to me to be a clear case where we need a
license that isn't globally free.

There will be entirely free materials for children using XOs from a
number of sources, but it will take time to build them up. I think we
need a way to ease commercial publishers into the idea.

What do you think, Sirs?

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/