cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC vs GPL: how to ensure compatibility and compliance

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC vs GPL: how to ensure compatibility and compliance
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:23:46 -0500

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 9/30/07, Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
> Perhaps you should have spent a couple seconds making sure you
> understood me before going off on a rant.

Rant?

Your overreaction to my post is a "rant". I simply presented a
contrasting opinion. You said yourself that such practices were
legally permissible. But then you claimed that it violated the
spirit of the license.

I would say that many people do not agree that it violates the
spirit of the license. It would be nicer for localization data
to be released under a free license, but it is truthfully not
"integral" to the software any more than a "skin" is for XMMS. The
software will run without it.

Where it might go astray legally, however, is that it is arguably a
derivative work (a translation) of a free work (the original UI
text). You can probably nail them via that interpretation, for your
specific case, if you think it's worth prosecuting.

Cheers,
Terry