cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] can someone check this wrapper for me?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: adam hyde <adam AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] can someone check this wrapper for me?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:01:55 +0200

> Why does one person would think for billion's ? My thinking is that
> diversity is proof of liberty.

hmmm...i think this is at the heart of some of the points., I actually
think if all content (whose authors wanted it to be free) was gpl we
would be alot further down the liberty road, and that liberty would be a
lot clearer, take less time to maintain, easier to really mix and
create/recreate from, and be alot more secure

> > the second link was to show the gpl _can_ be used for documentation.
> > which is my prefered choice because of the issues with the rationale of
> > the fdl
> >
> I know that, as well as I know Debian attitude. However, the license is
> unadapted for these sorts of works (by example, you don't have right to
> publish the content on tv or website — useless for software... It's
> real, you can have look : right to use, to copy, to adapt, modify, to
> distribute the copy, etc. ; but not to represent) . By the way, note
> that the GPL v3 is broader than the v2 ; consequently, theses critics
> would disappear

interesting, i will look at the v3 with these criticisms in mind,
thanks :)

> >> By the SFDL, I mean the Simple Free D.. L.., an other draft you can find
> >> one the draft's website [2] ; which would certainly be the best GNU
> >> license for content.
> >>

> > i dont think so (see earlier email)
> >
> I agree ; but yet better than the FDL ...

better maybe, but still not good

adam

--

adam hyde