cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Project using CCL wants to use LPGL licensed code

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Project using CCL wants to use LPGL licensed code
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:01:54 -0500

Christian Rutsch wrote:
> We are running a small software project, which has been released under
> the CCL. Now we want to use a piece of software within our code, which
> has been released und the LGPL.

The obligatory "CC licenses are not for software" and "there is no 'CC
license' -- there are several and you must specify" comments having
already been made by others, let me clarify the implication of the LGPL:

If you are only linking to the library, you should have no problem. This
is precisely why one uses LGPL instead of GPL for libraries -- to allow
incompatibly-licensed software to use it.

If you need to actually make changes to the library itself, however, you
will need to release those changes (but strictly speaking, only those
changes) under the LGPL.

HTH,
Terry