cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons and Collection Society

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Eric Garner <ejgarner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons and Collection Society
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:15:47 -0700 (PDT)

> > actually it seems that almost all collecting
> societies are fairly
> > critical of CC. in fact they have been among our
> most vocal and
> > persistent critics. Lately there have been some
> less critical noises
> > in some countries and by some representatives, but
> in general they
> > would probably be very happy if we did not exist
> at all.
>
> You hit the nail on the head Paul.
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Kevin

Ah, yes. Reminds me of Lessig's video where he refers
to a speech he gave to an audience of PRO people; a
group with the collective opinion that CC licenses
"help artists to starve", or something to that effect.
In this context, NC licenses are a wonderful tactical
tool, if not exactly practical for real-world content
re-use. It's a rock solid argument that CC *does* jive
with these societies' missions, at least in certain
circumstances. Not that it was the reason for NC's
placement within the CC playbook, but the importance
of this fact shouldn't be underestimated.