cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] QUERY REPOST: Creative Commons protections inquestion?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Kevin Phillips (home)" <tacet AT qmpublishing.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] QUERY REPOST: Creative Commons protections inquestion?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 19:42:58 +0100

Hey S.

You're declaring you own the thing you're uploading ie. your music, and
granting them (Macjams.com or whoever) the right to use it in the context of
their website. The basis under which you agree is as stated "WORLDWIDE,
PERPETUAL, IRREVOCABLE, ROYALTY-FREE, NON-EXCLUSIVE LICENSE TO USE, COPY,
PUBLISH, DISPLAY, PERFORM, AND DISTRIBUTE".

As Terry pointed out, they need to do this to ensure they have the
flexibility to promote your music and still be able to make money. Some of
the CC license options will undoubtedly stop them from doing so otherwise
(eg. any of the NC licenses).

To answer your question directly, your music is released under the CC
license you selected to everyone outside of the Macjams.com website. For
the website you've granted additional permissions as listed in the
agreement. A license doesn't really "protect" your work, your lawyers do ;)

If you're not comfortable with this then don't upload your music, if you
need more specific legal advice then you should really ask a lawyer :)

Kev