cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Need clarification: What is "commercial"?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Need clarification: What is "commercial"?
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 09:54:57 -0400

On Sunday 06 May 2007 08:56 am, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> On 5/6/07, Kevin Phillips (home) <tacet AT qmpublishing.com> wrote:
> > 7) A corporate barn builder likes your barn so much he makes you
> > give him the blue print - govermint said he can. He then makes a (c)
> > version of the blue print and sells it, endorsed by a celebrity and
> > sold by a global network of staff, everyone buys his version of your
> > barn.
>
> He can make his own version of the blue print to sell, but your
> original license still applies to the underlying blueprint. His
> copyright only applies to the expressive work which he has added.

I am not sure that he is allowed to add to the (C) work under the statutory
license. He is only allowed to cover the (C) work and get a (P) on his
phonorecording as I understand things. I could easily be wrong and welcome
learned corrections.

> And it's fine if he sells it, endorsed by a celeb, surrounded by
> sycophants or not. What everyone is buying into is the same barn that
> you wanted them to buy into in the first place. The corporate barn
> builder is doing exactly what you want him to do.

No, in fact, he is not doing exactly what I would want him to do. I would
want
him to release his cover BY-SA. He would be suing the law to force me to do
something I don't want to do.

> -Lucas

(da idea man)