cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] thread getting incredibly dull- do we need a -ot list? [was Re: NC considered harmful? Prove it...]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] thread getting incredibly dull- do we need a -ot list? [was Re: NC considered harmful? Prove it...]
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 06:25:04 -0400

On Friday 23 March 2007 03:26 am, Patrick Peiffer wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> A suggestion Drew: How about a "cc-add-your-name-here" list?

And that is a helpful suggestion how exactly?

> You could invite all those you enjoy thinking aloud and on-list with
> (I'm sure you know who they are), and all'd be fine and dandy?
>
> My apologies if this sounds rude, but see the thread on "Procedural
> suggestion" from october last year.

I don't know Patrick, was it meant to be rude? If not, I will not take it
that
way. I try my best not to assume rudeness online unless it is made very
plain.

> Then the situation was actually
> serious, a short and too the point question by Mia was drowned by
> off-topic noise, by among others, yourself.

So, how would the suggestion of two lists from this one hurt? One for license
wording (technical, what?) and one for license implications, theories,
whatever? Again, I am not sure of the best wording or even demarcation.

> Today it's the same with
> that "NC considered harmful" thread, except that serious dicussion has
> left the list a long time ago.
>
> While I don't expect this will lead anywhere, a trace has been left
> for list-newbies who wonder what the hell is going on on this
> cc-licences list...

Well, here is the thing that perhaps you miss. Some people obviously want to
talk about these sorts of things. They see, community and licenses. Licenses
seems the better choice. Further, something you may be unaware of although I
have mentioned in passing if I recall correctly, the folks at ccMixter will
send you here to the cc lists to have these discussions if you try and have
them on the forums there. I speak from first hand knowledge on that.

So what is it? Is CC's official position that such discussions are not
appropriate on any CC lists or forums? Is there a CC list or forum that I
don't know about? I don't want to or like to annoy people, but I know of no
better more appropriate place to discuss these issues.

I am happy to listen to workable advice as opposed to the possibly
frustration
induced '"cc-add-your-name-here" list' above.