cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Non Commercial CC Licensing and Royalties

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: bmz AT mezurashii.net, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Non Commercial CC Licensing and Royalties
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:56:18 +0000

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 07:52 +1100, bmz wrote:
> The reason I am looking at these is that I don't want to stop people
> either remixing my work or including my work in a DJ mixed set of music
> (which I consider to be a derivative work). I don't want to stop people
> being able to hear my music but at the same time I don't want anyone
> selling it without my permission. I'd like to keep the option of
> licensing my work for commercial release.

CC licenses are non-exclusive, so using a non-NC license doesn't
eliminate your commercial options.

> My interest in this from the DJ perspective is that I currently have a
> regular unpaid gig where I play a lot of Non-commercially licensed CC
> music released on various netlabels. If I were to get a paid gig, my
> understanding is, I would no longer be able to play Non-commercially
> licensed CC music, which I feel would be a great loss due to artists
> getting less exposure.
>
> From my perspective Non-commercial is too restrictive and Commercial is
> too free.
>
> The license deeds contain the words "Any of the above conditions can be
> waived if you get permission from the copyright holder." but there isn't
> any "standard" way to grant additional rights. Has anyone discussed the
> concept of standardised CC waivers, a kind of CC plus?

There's initial work on denoting that permissions beyond the scope of
the public license offered are available (see the latter part of
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7143), but not the development
of facilities to actually obtain rights beyond the public license.
Magnatune and others have been pioneering those in the commercial space;
you could start a project specific to the needs of DJs or something.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer