cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Citing and using selected pictures out of context.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Citing and using selected pictures out of context.
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:02:09 +0100

Itai Be'erli skrev:
I'd like to know, 1. whether the CC share-alike 3.0 license covers citations, i.e.
> reproducing only part of the original text - it can be a short
> passage, or 85% of the original work.

The licensor grants you the right to copy the work or just parts of the work. If you quote a work you must properly attribute the author of the text being quoted.

> 2. whether parts or all of the original text can be paraphrased
> and summarized.

The licensor also grants you the right to adapt his work and publish such adaptations without having to ask for permission.

3. whether selected pictures/images from an article, book, etc.
> may be reproduced not necessarily in their original
> context?

Yes, provided of course that they also are available under a CC-license. Do note however that the CC-licenses does _not_ affect the licensor's moral rights, they remain in force. A licensor may therefore object to your reuse, but only if that reuse damages his artistic reputation in the eyes of the general public.

Examples of violations of creators moral rights from Swedish case law include: changing the text of a well known song from a patriotic theme to a highly radical theme violated the artistic integrity of the author; adapting a female artists pictures to a commercial poster (under a license) and publishing those posters next to a adult-theatre violated the artists artistic integrity.

/Peter Brink