cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] simple question on derivative works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Dana Powers" <dana.powers AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] simple question on derivative works
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 20:13:55 -0800

On 3/7/07, Pedro Beltrao <pedrobeltrao AT gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I have a simple question regarding derivative works. If a document
containing text and images is licensed under a creative commons no
derivatives license, can I use an image from the document in another
document ?

Probably not under the terms of the license. You are given permission
to "reproduce the work," which could reasonably be interpreted as
meaning the entire work. As well, by creating a new document you
would probably enter into the realm of derivative works which is not
permitted. Even if your new document were only a "collection," you
would still have to "include [the work] in its entirety in unmodified
form" (from cc-by-nd 3.0 unported).

In particular imagine I want to promote a document in a blog post and
I want to use one of the pictures in the document to illustrate some
of points. Is this allowed ?

In this case there would probably be a fair use defense regardless of
what license is used.

If this is not allowed then, how would the content provider have to
set the licenses such that it would be legal ? Would they have to
explicitly say that both the text and the images are provided in a
creative commons no derivatives license ?

If there are specific promotional materials they could be licensed
separately. Or you could just rely on fair use for promotional
quoting.

When in doubt, however, ask the licensor or ask your lawyer :)

Dana