cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] open source non commercial license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Emerson Clarke" <emerson.clarke AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] open source non commercial license
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:30:02 +0000

Thanks everyone for you thoughts and your input... its been an
enlightening discussion.

I have decided to release my work initially under the GPL, which i
will probably change to some form of dual license or BSD style license
later on.

So in the last two days ive built a website and cleaned up 250,000
lines of code to get a release out before the end of the week :)

For those who are interested you can check it out here:

http://reasoning.info/examples.htm

And you can download it here:

http://reasoning.info/download.htm

Emerson

On 2/9/07, Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-05-02 at 18:47 +0000, Emerson Clarke wrote:

> How do you avoid the situation where no one will use your library for
> risk of their project becoming a clutter of licensing restrictions and
> yet, as an individual, still make money from software ?

There are about a million ways to make money from producing free
software.

* Offer consulting for installation and configuration
* User training and documentation
* Write and sell a book
* Custom extensions, plugins, or etc. for particular uses
* Ask for donations
* Offer a commercial license with no source-code redistribution
requirement for derivatives
* Sell the media (installation CDs or DVDs)
* Sell schwag with the logo on it
* Apply for government or foundation grants
* Provide software as a service (Web service, other service)

None of them are quite so easy as selling licenses for software, but
they all benefit immensely from broad distribution of Free Software.

Probably the biggest motivation to release a work as Free Software is
this: if you don't, someone else will release a program that's
equivalent and IS Free Software, and then your proprietary software
sales plummet. The Free economy favours those who give their stuff away
soonest.

-Evan

Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
http://evan.prodromou.name/