cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] BY-NC-SA and commercial use - wholesale copying, with ads

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Improbulus <improbulus+ccl1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] BY-NC-SA and commercial use - wholesale copying, with ads
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:56:34 +0000

The BY-NC-SA licence says "You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation."

I think this means that if a website copies my entire blog post wholesale (admittedly with a link to my original post at the end) but without adding any comment or original content of their own, and just runs a bunch of Google AdSense ads on the same page, it is clearly copying my post in a manner "primarily" intended for monetary compensation. And therefore violating the terms of the BY-NC-SA licence.

Especially when it's been copying lots of my posts, a separate page on the website for each post again with no original content, and running ads on every one of those pages.

Is this correct, please? Seems to be, from this post https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2006-January/003108.html, but I'd be grateful for views. (And if anyone has any ideas as to how I can stop them, I'd be grateful to hear it too!)

Many thanks in advance.

Improbulus

--
http://consumingexperience.blogspot.com/