cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] CC-licensed Icons in Programs

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jason Owen <shannara256 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] CC-licensed Icons in Programs
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 15:15:45 -0800 (PST)

I would like to use an icon that is licensed under the CC by-sa 2.5
license in a program I am writing, but I wasn't able to figure out by
reading the license whether this use would be a derivative work or not.
If I use that icon, would the program be considered a derivative work,
which means I have to release the entire program under the same license as
the icon? Or would I simply be distributing the icon, and thus only need
the attribution?

Thanks
-Jason-