cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Another opinion statement on TPM/ParDist

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Another opinion statement on TPM/ParDist
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 13:39:09 -0600

This was passed on to me by its author:

http://www.gatchev.info/articles/en/TPM.html

It's a pro anti-TPM / anti TPM+ParDist. The author's own description:

"""
It appears to me that DRM / TPM is fundamentally incompatible with most
free licenses. And that giving a free license to something designated
for TPM platform and/or format means automatically violating the free
license.

It also appears to me that the idea for a free license for a TPMed
content (or program) is a logical perpetuum mobile. The question is not
if this or that specific attempt will be able to build one, by why it
will fail. The "exploit" of Greg London shows this for one specific kind
of this perpetuum mobile. Other kinds may have different "exploits", and
some may prove very hard to refute. However, all of them will be
eventually refuted, due to a simple principle: you cannot give freedom
over a non-free platform or format, if you are not the entity that
controls this platform / format.

Grigor Gatchev
"""

Cheers,
Terry

  • [cc-licenses] Another opinion statement on TPM/ParDist, Terry Hancock, 12/08/2006