cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] ParaDist Questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] ParaDist Questions
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:38:18 -0500

<quote who="Mike Linksvayer" date="Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:26:03PM -0800">
> So assuming an digital artifact without digital out is effectively TPM,
> and assuming no parallel distribution, would it be possible for an
> electronic greeting card to comply with a CC license? By making very
> clear that lack of digital out is not a matter of TPM but of expense,
> e.g., documenting the chip's pinout?

Cheaper technologies are frequently less flexible. Someone might
choose a cheaper technology *because* they want to limit
reusability. The problem is that what we're really after is people
with evil intent. That's hard to nail down in a license.

Later,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako AT atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS