cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:10:59 -0500

While I understand that the people active on this list on this topic
are unrepresentative of most CC users (e.g., most people here seem to
only use or support the most permissive licenses which only represent
a small portion of CC license use), I was curious about one potential
compromise:

Since the dominant argument against parallel distribution on this
list seems to boil down to a critique that the clause provide a way
to sidestep copyleft, is there any objection to a parallel
distribution clause only for those licenses that do not include the
SA option?

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako AT atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS