cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Commercial BY-SA permits incorporation?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Neil Stockbridge <cc AT dist.ro>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Commercial BY-SA permits incorporation?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:09:04 +0000

If I have a 3D model that I license using BY-SA, what is the meaning of
"derivative work"? What I would like is for the licensee to be free:

* to incorporate the unaltered .blend file with their software product
and be able to license the software as they wish (even with a
proprietary license)

..and for the licensee to be obliged:

* to provide attribution
* to release any improvements or fixes to the model under the BY-SA
license before distribution with their software (whereupon they are
distrubuting an unaltered .blend file as above)

Is this already covered by the BY-SA license or is the composition of
the .blend file with the software object code considered a "derived
work" and therefore subject to the BY-SA license?

I'm looking for a sort-of LGPL for meshes.

- neil